Visit us

Endview Plantation

Endview Plantation
Endview Plantation

Constructed in 1769 for the Harwood family, Endview Plantation is one of the last remaining colonial buildings in Newport News. The Georgian-style house was located in close proximity to the route taken by the Continental Army and Virginia militia on their advance to the 1781 battle that ended the Revolutionary War. Dr. Humphrey Harwood Curtis, a physician and a great-grandson of William Harwood, acquired the property in 1858. In 1861, he organized a volunteer Confederate militia company known as the Warwick Beauregards to provide local defense in the early months of the Civil War. During the Peninsula Campaign, Confederate generals Lafayette McLaws and Robert Toombs headquartered on the plantation, at which time the Curtis family relocated to a different part of Virginia. At the conclusion of the Civil War, the Curtis family returned and Dr. Curtis resumed his medical practice. The property remained in the Harwood/Curtis family until 1985.

An exhibit along with a guided house tour provide information on the home’s history, 400 years of family ties to the property, and Dr. Curtis’s 19th-century medical practice. A nature trail, medicinal herb garden, outbuildings, and wayside markers are located on the grounds.

Admission

  • Adult – $8.00
  • Seniors (62 & above) – $7.00
  • Children (ages 7-18) – $6.00
  • Family (immediate household only) – $20.00
  • $1.00 discount for military or AAA members with membership card

Hours of Operation

Thursday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
(Historic house tours are guided only; last tour at 3:30 p.m.)