Lee Hall Mansion is an Italianate residence built in 1859 by prominent planter, Richard Decatur Lee, for his family. Only three years after the house’s completion, the Lees fled their home as the Peninsula became one of the first battlegrounds of the Civil War.
Built on high ground, Lee Hall Mansion had a natural and commanding view of the countryside. Consequently, between April and May of 1862, it served as a Confederate headquarters for Major General John Bankhead Magruder and General Joseph E. Johnston. From this location, Magruder and Johnston directed the defense of the Peninsula against Major General George B. McClellan’s advancing Union Army. A small skirmish was fought on the property on May 4, 1862. After the Civil War, the Lees returned to the house and resided there until 1871. The property passed through several owners and was lived in through most of the 20th century.
Admission to Lee Hall Mansion includes access to the Peninsula Campaign Gallery as well as a guided tour of the historic house. Wayside panels located on a looped trail around the house provide further information on the history of the house, grounds, and occupants.
$1.00 discount for military or AAA members
Thursday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Historic house tours are guided only; last tour at 3:30 p.m.)
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day
***Lee Hall Mansion will be closed on December 23. Happy holidays!!
Lee Hall Mansion will be closed for annual deep cleaning January 4-6, 2024. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.***