***TRAIL CLOSURE*** Due to seasonal events, the trails at Historic Endview are closed for the month of October. The historic house remains open according to its regular operating schedule. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Constructed in 1769 for the Harwood family, Historic Endview is one of the last remaining colonial buildings in Newport News. The Georgian-style house was located in close proximity to the route taken by the Continental Army and Virginia militia on their advance to the 1781 battle that ended the Revolutionary War. Dr. Humphrey Harwood Curtis, a physician and a great-grandson of William Harwood, acquired the property in 1858. In 1861, he organized a volunteer Confederate militia company known as the Warwick Beauregards to provide local defense in the early months of the Civil War. During the Peninsula Campaign, Confederate generals Lafayette McLaws and Robert Toombs headquartered on the property, at which time the Curtis family relocated to a different part of Virginia. At the conclusion of the Civil War, the Curtis family returned and Dr. Curtis resumed his medical practice. The property remained in the Harwood/Curtis family until 1985.
An exhibit along with a guided house tour provide information on the home’s history, 400 years of family ties to the land, and Dr. Curtis’s 19th-century medical practice. A nature trail, medicinal herb garden, outbuildings, and wayside markers are located on the grounds.
$1.00 discount for military or AAA members with membership card
Thursday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
(Historic house tours are guided only; last tour at 3:30 p.m.)
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day